verse of the day

Monday 13 December 2021

Evidence (Jonah 2 v 9 )

I am saved says a person, I  trusted  Jesus to save me,I believed on the Lord Jesus Christ, before we come to consider evidence,let us seek to answered the question,as to what saves us.or who saves us.These two aspects are very important.When the reformation came into being in the 16th century one of the great divisions between the Catholics and Protestants was what saves,is it faith alone or faith and works. The fact is ,if it is faith and works that goes  against what the Word of  God teaches,Abraham believed and the Lord counted him as righteous because of faith. Genesis15 v 6. In  Romans 4 v 1-3, the apostle Paul writes'What did he discover about being made right with God ?. If his good deeds had made him acceptable to God, he would  have something to boast about. But that was not God's way.' (NLT)Compare Ephesians 2 v 8 -9. One the great problems the early church had to contend with was from Jews who could not accept this,they said one  needed to be circumcised. The Galatian letter deals with this,Paul writes ,'We know that a person is made right with God by faith in Jesus Christ not by obeying the Law.' Gal 2 v16.Very simple put ,the law was not made to  make us  righteous,it was given to make us aware of our sinfulness and drives us to Christ alone for salvation. Let me sum up what I have wrote,it is faith alone in Christ and His finished work on Calvary that saves. We will continue this next time, I will leave you the words of a hymn by Horatius Bonar,

                                                  Not what my hands have done

                                                  Can save my Guilty soul;

                                                  Not what my toiling flesh hath borne,

                                                  Can make my spirit whole.

                                                  Thy work alone O Christ,

                                                   Can ease this weight of sin;

                                                   Thy blood alone, O Lamb of God,

                                                    Can give me peace within.


















































/

No comments: