verse of the day

Saturday 4 September 2021

Knowing God. ( 1)( Matthew 18 v 1 - 5 )

A  Trappist monk , that is an of silent order of monks wrote the following,''Twenty- one year I have prayed and meditated  with monks of the abbey, hours and hours of the day and the night.  And yet , was God alive for me?.Was he real and living for me. I hope that I do not  shock and scandalize  anybody, really He was  unknown to me''. It was J I. Packer who wrote a book called ,'Knowing God',  yes the good news is that God can be known.,in the most personal way. It is our dear Saviour who declared ,'I solemnly declare to you, unless you turn and become like the little children you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.' ( Matthew 18 v 4)Knowing God starts with a childlike trust,and continues that way, when we forsake that way, we end up like the disciples .Our Saviour sought to answer the question raised by his disciples as to who is greatest in the Kingdom heaven.  You see as Martyn  Lloyd- Jones wrote ,'That the kingdom of God is unlike everything that belongs to this present evil age'. Our Saviour was cutting across their whole idea as to greatness ,it is obvious that they failed to understand this, CP Luke 22 v 24, they would eventually.We will continue with this next time,but I will leave with a verse from a Dutch poem.

                                               Make me ,O Lord ,a little child again,

                                               So tender frail and small,

                                               In self possessing nothing,and 

                                               In  Thee possessing all.

                                        

No comments: