verse of the day

Wednesday 20 March 2024

What's in a name? ( Psalm 121 v1)

It was William Shakespeare who wrote ,'What's in a name?,That which we call a rose by any other name would smell so sweet'.All names have  a meaning ,although I am called Bill, or Billy,my  Christian name is William,I can never understand why William can change to Bill or Billy.So what does William mean? Well it comes from the German  , 'Wil =desire', helm= helment protector'.from that ,people say it means ,'Resolute Protector'. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.Now in Proverbs 18 v 10,we read,'The name of the Lord is a fortified tower;the righteous run to it and our safe'.It is Charles Bridges writing on the term,' The name of the Lord, say's the following,'Not the bare outward words, operating as a charm, but His character ;'in other words  he is strong ,mighty,and the supreme protector.Israel often forgot this and looked to other god's,other nations,for the protection they needed. The question we ask is this when danger threatens where do we run to?,who should we run to?,the answer is simple to the Lord.He is the believers security and protector, he will not fail us.

                                             'How oft in the conflict,when pressed by the foe, 

                                              I have fled to my refuge,and breathed out my woe;

                                               How often ,when trials,like sea billows roll,

                                                Have I hidden in Thee,O Thou rock of my soul!

                                                                 Words William O. Cushing.





No comments: