verse of the day

Monday 10 October 2022

Christ Alone . ( Ephesians 2 v8 -9 )

 Jonah 2 v9 reads,'Deliverance belongs to the Lord',the word deliverance,or salvation ,Rosemary Nixon,writes,'That this is one of the most profoundly significant saying in scripture'.The religions of the world would not agree with those words,they all have their followers,doing something,in order to be saved,to gain their gods favour .Consider Jonah's situation,trapped in the belly slowly dying,he was totally helpless,in fact those who threw him overboard ,would have assumed he was dead,and indeed he was as good as dead.Again what could he do to save himself,the answer is nothing,he was in a state of utter hopelessness.A man once came to the apostle Paul, and his friend Silas.he fell down before them,and said,' Men , what must I  do to be saved?,their answer was this,' Believe on the Lord Jesus,and you will be saved', Acts 16 v31. Simple yet so many stumble at the simplicity of these words,are you prepared to believe on the Lord Jesus to save you?,you see he is called a Saviour, that means ,He saves, completely, 100 percent.On the cross Jesus paid the price for our salvation,if you try add anything to it ,it becomes null and void.

                                 '  Not what my hands hath done,can save my guilty soul,

                                   Not what my toiling flesh hath borne,can make my spirit whole.

                                  Not what I feel or do, can give me peace with God,

                                   Not all my prayers and sighs and tears,can bear my awful load.

                                  Thy work alone O Christ , can ease the weight of sin;

                                  Thy blood alone, O lamb of God, can give me peace within.'

                                                               ' Horatius Bonar'

                     

No comments: