verse of the day

Sunday 21 August 2022

It's that important.( Philippians 1 v 29 )

Martin Luther said,' We will suffer our goods to be taken away, our name, our life,and all we have;  but the Gospel, our faith, Jesus Christ, we will never suffer to be wrested from us'. Many of the epistles were written in defence of the Gospel, written by men like Paul, and Peter,who not only proclaimed the Gospel but also were prepared to lay down their lives for the gospel,Paul was beheaded Peter was crucified.I am remined of Polycarp who was a disciple of the apostle John, he became a bishop in the church of Smyrna( (Izmir  in modern Turkey). In his 80s he was arrested,because he would not swear that Caesar was lord , if he did, he would be set free,this was what he said,''Eighty six years have I served Jesus,and he never did me an injury, how can I blaspheme my king and Saviour'' .He was pressed on this, being threatened to be devoured by wild beasts,or to be consumed by the fire,he refused.and said,'' Hear me declare with boldness,'I am a Christian'.So they gathered the wood, the Jews especially joining in ,and they burnt him to death. The gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ,is more precious than worldly riches,world fame, may our dear God grant us grace to live for Christ ,and if necessary to die for Christ.

No comments: