verse of the day

Friday 12 June 2020

Take it seriously ( Psalm 126 v 5 )

I have not read much about Saint Columba, but right away I would point that all Christians are saints, many translations use the term 'Holy Ones'. Well so we will call  him Columba he was reckoned to be of noble birth,a grandson of an Irish king. He went to the Isle of Iona ,and formed an abbey,and from there the gospel spread,all over Scotland and to places afar.The Abbey was a place of much prayer,here is what he said about prayer,'The measure of  your prayers is when tears come'.There is a saying ,'I often say my prayers , but do I pray?'.Our Saviour spoke of the danger of praying,that it can become just vain  repetition ,many people say the Lords prayer and it is just vain repetition. As one who prays I often concerned that my prayers will not be vain repetition,the word vain is important,it highlights the importance of praying from the heart ,not just from the mouth. Words are so easily spoken,in a thoughtless manner especially when we pray,   or when we sing a hymn.I am not trying to discourage anyone from praying,it is vital when we pray,that we take it serious , God will honour our prayers ,when we offer them  in faith,and humility, and yes and with a few precious tears.

No comments: