verse of the day

Tuesday 2 April 2019

Humility ( Philippians 2 v 5 - 11 )

Melanie Reid writing in her book,'The world I fell out of'', of her early days in hospital,after she was paralysed from the chest down,wrote the following.'' My physical plight ,  I was learning what was the equivalent of being sent to university to do a degree in humility''.While I would not want Melanie's experience of being paralysed, I am sure we all need to learn to be more humble. I believe most of us ,yes myself included,wear a badge  pinned to our cheats,with the words on it which read ,I am Billy( put your own name there),and I'm proud of it''. Consider how often the word slips into our vocabulary,I am proud to be,English,or in my case an Ulster man.I am proud of my children,my home,my medals.Ah we may protest and say it is only words,no it is more than just words it is an attitude ,pride is a sin, we have to tear away our distorted reasoning.The words of an old hymn come to mind,'He washed my eyes with tears that I may see',sad to say it is only through the university of suffering, do we learn to change our sinful mind sets. If we are as Christians,to be like Jesus,then pride must die as we kneel before the cross , of Him, who thought it not robbery to be equal with God,became a  servant, and became obedient to death on a cross.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     When I survey the wondrous cross,                                                                                                           On which the prince of glory died,                                                                                                              My richest gain I count but loss,                                                                                                                And pour contempt on all my pride.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     (Words by Isaac Watts )

No comments: