verse of the day

Sunday 7 October 2018

The salt of the earth ( Matthew 5 v 13 )

I was given a lawn treatment.,by a neighbour,I thought it was for making my lawn green,But unfortunately the places I put it on  turned to dust.I  have tried to grow grass on this but alas,the soil has been turned in dust ,just fit for.to be dug  up and  dumped  . This reminds me of what Jesus taught in Matthew 5 v 13,''You are the salt of the earth.But if salt loses its saltiness,  how can it be made salty again?. It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men''.. Now I do not think that Jesus is teaching that salt loses its saltiness, but He is simply saying if it did, its of no worth. Salt was valued highly in the ancient world, the  Romans said ,' There is nothing more useful than sun and salt'.It was used as  a preservative ,saving food from corruption. So many people get corrupted by money ,sex ,and power. the Christian, must not be like them. When that old testament saint Daniel's life was examined by his enemies ,we read,'They could find no corruption in him, because he was trustworthy and  neither corrupt nor negligent'.( Daniel 6 v 4 ) he was being the salt of the earth, we are called by our dear Saviour to follow in Daniels footsteps.

No comments: