verse of the day

Saturday 26 November 2011

I know my sheep. [John 10 v 14 ]

The Lord is my shepherd[ Psalm 23v1 ]Now most of us dont know much about a shepherd, in John 10 we have things mentioned that help us to understand their role. In verse 3 we read that the shepherd knows his sheep by name, in the shepherds eyes they are not just a number.The worlds population is reckoned to be 7 billion ,we do not know how many of them are Christians,but the good Shepherd Jesus does ,he knows them by name. Next we read that He leads them,He goes before them ,and here is the important thing,the sheep follow Him. Now it should be a great comfort to have the assurance that Jesus our good shepherd is leading us. Joseph H. Gilmore wrote,/He leadeth me, O blessed thought. O words with heavenly comfort fraught. Whate,er I do, where,er I be. Still tis Gods hand that leadeth me/.This is a blessed thought, a great comfort, but has this implication for His sheep, for we may not appreciate what this fully means, for the hymn goes on to say./Sometimes mid, scenes of deepest gloom. The vital thing for us all,I believe is to trust, the one who is leading. I read this story recently,/ A two story house caught fire, most escaped but a little boy panicked and ran back upstairs and into his room. Suddenly he appeared at a smoke filled window,crying like crazy. His father ,outside ,shouted, jump son, jump, I,ll catch you, but daddy the boy cried, I cant see you.His father called, I know son, but I can see you./For that little boy if he was going to be saved , he would have take a leap of trust, it is the same for us all we are called to trust the one who is leading.
A prayer..../Lord I would clasp Thy hand in mine
Nor ever murmur nor repine.
Content, whatever lot I see,
Since tis my God that leadeth me. Amen.

No comments: