verse of the day

Saturday 31 December 2022

Times long past.( James 2 v 26 )

 In Belfast were I was brought up,I remember my mother and others going out on old years night,to a monument called the Albert clock,to celebrate the end of another year.I suppose on the final stroke of the old year ,everyone would start singing, 'Auld Lang Syne' that famous song written by Robert Burns.Most  people who will be singing that song,will not know the meaning of that song. The title gives us a clue,' 'Times Long Past', it is reminding us not to forget the good old times,and the companionship during that year. A worthy celebration,I do thank God for the good things in the year that's gone by,I have not  gone hungry, I am not in debt,I have enough to live on,and so one could go on,I thank God also for friendships. and family. But many are not as fortunate as me,I appreciate that,I hope in the year that is gone I have helped someone,by a word,deed or even just a smile,the following song sums it up.

               'If I can help somebody as I pass along,if I can cheer somebody with a word or a song,

               If I can show somebody he is travelling wrong, Then my living shall not be in vain.

               If I can do my duty as Christian oft,If I can bring back beauty to a world up wrought,

               If I can spread love's message that the Master taught,Then my living shall not be in vain.

                                                   'Then my living shall not be in vain

                                                   Then my living shall not be in vain!

                                                    If I can help somebody as I pass along,

                                                    Then my living shall not be in vain'





















No comments: