verse of the day

Friday 23 December 2022

Our heavenly home. ( 2 Timothy 2 v1 )

 I came out of the supermarket, got into my car,and as I drove off ,I prayed,'Father get me safely home',driving is potentially very risky and dangerous. All of a sudden those words took on a different meaning,and I uttered them again to God my Father,for I was thinking of my heavenly home.From the moment we become a Christian we are on journey,to heaven,we are foreigners and strangers on earth,and we have a longing  for a heavenly country.(Hebrews 11 v 16)On this journey to heaven we face many difficulties, I stress many, the hymn writer ,wrote of the many dangers,toils,and snares, he had come through. John Bunyan wrote ,'Pilgrims progress', about a man called Christian,who on a journey to that Celestial city,faced a giant and many other dangers.But by the grace of God he reached his destination,our responsibility is not to give up, it is called the perseverance of the saints.It goes without saying that we cannot do it on our own strength, Jesus said ,''without me you can do nothing'. (John 15 v 5) We need to keep , looking and depending on Him,and like Him who for the joy that was set before Him,  endured the cross, scorning its shame,so we must follow in his footsteps,and as we do,our great God will bring us safely home.

                                                     'Since ,Lord, Thou dost defend

                                                      Us by Thy Spirit.

                                                      We know we at the end

                                                       Shall life inherit.

                                                       Then fancies flee away!

                                                        I'll labour night and day 

                                                        To be a pilgrim.

                                                                 John Bunyan

No comments: