verse of the day

Monday 4 May 2020

The Cup ( Romans 12 v 1 - 2 )

Following on from the previous reading,when Jesus was asked to grant a special privilege to James and John to sit one at the right hand, and one on His left hand ,in His Kingdom. Jesus answer was very honest ,telling them there was a cost to such a desire,even death,but it is W.Barclay who writes,''It is quite wrong to think that for the Christian the cup must always mean the short ,sharp, bitter,agonizing struggle of  martyrdom;the cup may well be the long routine of the Christian life, with all its daily sacrifices, its daily  struggle,and its heartbreaks and its disappointments and its tears.A Roman coin was once found with the picture of an ox on it; the ox was facing two things- an ox (sacrifice) and a plough (service ); and the inscription read;''Ready for either.'' When I was younger my wife and I  felt led to serve God on the mission field,but God shut that door in His will,and led us in another direction.There is a gospel song called ,''Follow Me,'' the last verse reads,'O Jesus if I die upon a foreign field some day,Twould be no more than love demands- No less could I repay. No greater love hath mortal man ,than for a friend to die. These are the words He gently spoke to me; If just a cup of water I place within your hand, then just a cup of water is all that I demand,'But if by death to living, they can Thy glory see, I'll take my cross and follow close to Thee.'

No comments: