verse of the day

Friday 11 October 2024

The only certainity. ( John 11 v 25)

 I heard this recently,' Certainty is a grave for little children', lets face it,we live in a very uncertain world, I'm sure you know the saying that the only certainty in life is ,'death and taxes'.I don't want to unsettle any of you, but we have to face the fact we live in an uncertain world. Sport has examples,one that gives me much pleasure ,when a little cricket team in Sion Mills in Northern Ireland routed the great West Indies for 25 runs,in  Jan 1969. Many people have been ruined by  betting on that horse,that investment, the South Sea Bubble in the 18th century ruined thousands of  investers,it was the worlds first financial crash,the first of many. No matter how careful you are in life,there are no guarantees, of a life free from uncertaity. The Goliath's in this world can be defeated,even by a young lad,one has said,'People cannot control,understand,or anticipate what life will bring'.Let us rerturn to one certainity I mentioned death,now that is a certainity,I can guarantee that,people look at death in different ways,billions  believe there is an after life,and so they place their hope in dare I say false religions,that is a false hope. In Hebrews 6 v19, we read,'We have this hope as an anchor for the soul,firm, and secure', that hope is in Christ and what He has done,by His life,death,resurrection,and ascension. He is the certainity and the only certainity we can build our hopes on.

                                                       'Upom a life I have not lived,

                                                        Upon a death I did not die,

                                                        Another's life,another's death

                                                        I stake my whoe eternity.

                                                        Jesus,O Son of God,I build

                                                        On what Thy cross has done 

                                                        for me'

                                                              Words Haratius Bonasr 

No comments: