verse of the day

Wednesday 2 October 2024

Don't despair (Psalm 31)

 David wrote many of the Psalms, Psalm 23 is a great favourite it is a calm and peaceful Psalm,that has blessed generations of God's people .But many  of his other Psalms,are filled with feelings of distress, the  31st  Psalm is David experiencing a great deal of distress caused by his enemies .They were trying to trap David,in many ways,he is troubled, and consumed with grief, his strength is also failing him. He feels very isolated,broken, forgotten, and slandered. From v 14  a change for the better sets in, as he focuses on God,yes things can change ,as we look beyond  our dire situations. In verse 15 we have these wonderful words,here is what he declares,'My times are in Thy hand'.Henry F.Lyte  wrote a wonderful hymn based on those words,here it is.

                                      'My times are in thy hand; my God I wish them there;

                                       My life, my friends, my soul I leave ,entirely to Thy care.

                                       My times are in thy hand; whatever they may be;

                                       Pleasing  or painful, dark or bright,as best may seem to Thee.

                                       My times are in Thy hand,why should I doubt or fear?

                                       A Father's hand will never cause, His child a needless tear.

                                       My times are in Thy hand, Jesus the crucified

                                       The hand my cruel sins have pierced, is now my guard

                                        and guide.




No comments: