verse of the day

Saturday 28 September 2024

Can good works save us? ( Matthew 7 v 21-23 )

 When one witnesses to different people you get different reactions,some do not want to listen,don't say anything, others give a brief reply,here is a reply by one lady I spoke to,she served in a charity shop. I started by asking her did she go to church? she replied no,then I asked was she was a Christian?,she replyed,I think I am ,I help people.I commended her for that,and her work in the charity shop,and then  I went on to tell her about my wife,who is a carer,helping many,but that would never save her.It is said that there are two types of religions ,one is based on their works, and the other based on faith in the work of Christ alone to save them.The first one is what many people think,that their works must count for something in God's eyes.But they are tottally wrong ,sad to say they keep persisting with that belief ,though the lady said she would think about I said. Works cannot save us they are not meant to ,yet we cannot discount them, and think they are not important,they are. but not as a means of our salvation,but as an evidence that we are saved, as James tells us in his epistle,'show me your faith',  ( James2 v18).It is only the work of Christ on the cross that saves us, nothing else.This is not a trivial matter,it is vital that we see that the best we do is not  good enough to save us,our best efforts cannot blot out one sin,if you think  you can be saved by climbing the ladder of good works that will take you into heaven,they won't,not if one did good works for a million,million,million years, it will all be in fain and will end in tears, give it up as a bad job,and turn in simple humility and faith in Jesus to save you.

                                                      

No comments: