William Barclay wrote the following,'In Hitler's Germany a man was arrested because he stood for freedom.He endured imprisonment and torture with stoic uncomplaining fortitude. Finally,with spirit unbroken , he was released. Some short time afterwards he committed suicide Many wondered why. Those who knew him well knew the reason he had discovered that his own son was the person who had informed aganst him.The treachery of his own flesh and blood broke him in a way that the cruelty of his enemies was unable to achieve' It is David who writes about a close friend who had turned against him Psalm 41 v9,one does not expect this from a friend.It must have hurt our Saviour greatly when Judas betrayed Him,and indeed when Peter denied Him,and when all His disciples forsook Him.Sometimes when people experience this they turn away from God. I knew a Christian couple and the wife was unfaithful,I cannot help but think that affected him spiritualy,for I met him one time,it appeared to me he had become very cynical.Another friend of mine was in partnership with a fellow Christian,and he was betrayed by that partner,loosing out financially. Our Saviour had many painful experiences ,but He never became bitter,nor did it turn away from doing the Fathers will.A person called Sunder Singh wrote a hymn here are some of the words from it.
'I have decided to follow Jesus
No turning back,no turning back.
Though none go with me, still I will follow,
No turning back,no turning back.'
No comments:
Post a Comment